was originally the capital of the Creek Indian Confederacy. Attracted by the lush countryside and
abundant wildlife, the area was home to the Creeks until the turn of the nineteenth century when treaties
declared the land American territory.
Located on the banks of the Ocmulgee
River, the town quickly became a thriving trading post for Native Americans who lived to the west. General
Andrew Jackson camped here with his army troops on the way to fight the Seminoles in Florida. In memory of
the famous general, a large boulder with a bronze tablet bearing the inscription, "General Jackson's Trail 1818,"
can be seen on what is now the corner of Broad and Jackson Streets.
The County came within one vote of being the state capitol's new site, and
disgruntled residents mumbled the town's loss was due to one man going fishing when he should have been
Pulaski County's land area began to grow in 1826 when the upper part of Dooly County
was added. The General Assembly later granted Pulaski a portion of Houston County, which is currently the
City of Hawkinsville.
Conveniently located on the Ocmulgee River, Hawkinsville became an important center
for transporting freight. Today, the city is the terminal county seat of highways leading in from seven
adjoining capitals- Perry, Cochran, Eastman, Abbeville, Vienna, Cordele and Oglethorpe- earning the city the title
of "Hawkinsville, the Highway Hub."
Hawkinsville is also known as the "Harness Horse Capital of Georgia," and has been
the winter home for harness horse training since the early 1920's, serving horsemen from Northern and Midwestern
An interesting landmark in Pulaski County is the Old Opera House. Listed on the
National Register of Historical Places, the Old Opera House was completely renovated in 2001 using local option
sales taxes. Build in 1907, the Facility has given top billing to famous entertainers and politicians over
the years. Oliver Hardy, part of the comedy duo of Laurel and Hardy, once sang on stage in a quartet during
his stay with an aunt in Hawkinsville. Today, the Old Opera House is a popular location for community plays,
music and dance recitals and other cultural events.
Also listed on the National Register of Historical Places is Taylor Hall, the oldest
house in Pulaski County. The house was first constructed on the Ocmulgee River in 1824 by Robert Newsom
Taylor, the county's first physician. Dr. Taylor moved the house to its present location in 1836.
Pulaski County's rich heritage has been carefully preserved by residents
and Classic Main Street. Contact Classic Main Street for any questions or info concerning
community history - phone # (478) 783-9294.